Thursday, June 01, 2006

News

I've described myself as news-averse. I figure if it's important enough, I'll hear about it.

In addition, I've developed an advanced skepticism regarding most news sources. Due, perhaps, to my education, I find that consuming what are generally considered to be authoritative sources - CNN, say, or a major newspaper - feels, to me, like watching a campaign ad on television.

Except, of course, that you have a pretty clear idea of the agenda that drives the campaign ad, while the motivations behind news stories are not always clear. I suppose most people would concede that any given journalist or publication has a tendency to favor certain points of view, but it feels like more than that to me.

As a result, I do not feel that paying attention to the news actually keeps me in touch with what's going on in the world. Rather, I feel like it shows me what things powerful economic interests want the public to see as important.

I guess this, coupled with living outside of the United States for (nearly) my entire adult life, keeps me a bit detatched from things. I vote in presidential elections, but definitely view the politics of my government--when at all--from a bemused distance.

I'm sure that the "what difference can one person make" feeling contributes to this as well but, for better or for worse, I am not someone who agonizes over the things that I feel unable to change. What does that make me, an apathetic conspiracy theorist?

I'm not sure that I have a point here, and maybe I don't need one. I actually started out trying to introduce this article, which I just read. It's a very long, extensively researched article citing dozens of sources, published--online at least--by Rolling Stone magazine, of all things. It appears to have been posted/published just today.

I wonder if it will get wider attention.

I wonder if there is any straw, anywhere, that can break this camel's back.

1 comments:

Anonymous June 03, 2006 10:46 PM  

Very very scary. Things and secrets have a way of being exposed over time. (At least the ones we find out about!) I have to believe that if there is truth to this, it will get some serious attention sooner or later, and will not be tolerated by the vast majority of Americans of either party. Too scary. Really.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP